What to Do When You Get Sued

It’s possible that you live your life without been sued. There were 278,442 civil filings in the United States in 2012, according to the latest government data, but it is not just a rite of passage for most people. They probably have not learned how to manage a subpoena in school, and their parents never sat down and talked about how someone could try using legal means taking what you have.


So if you are ever been pursued this is what you should remember.


No need to sweat


You are a human, which means that to panic is normal and stop thinking about worse case scenarios


For starters, “law enforcement is inherently slow,” said Zachary Schorr, the main litigant Schorr Law, in Los Angeles. “The legal system is designed to screen requests in an orderly manner.”


Second, “just because you got sued, does not mean that the other person is good or that you are destined not to win,” Schorr said.


But don’t you ever ignore summons because if you do and the case continues without you then your worst nightmare is about to happen.


Consider finding a lawyer.


It may not be profitable if you are sued in small claims court, like Jacob Volkmar a grant writer, 27, in St. Louis, discovered last year. He lived in a room without paperwork and complained that he and his visitors were often harassed by the house owner. After eight months he moved without 30 days’ notice. The rent was $ 600 per month, but the house owner filed a suit against him for $ 800.


He went to a lawyer, but the prosecutor required a retainer of $250 per hour,” says Volkmar. He refused, knowing that he got sued over a small fee only for him to pay a big fortune was not the wisest of decisions.

Small Claims Court, as you know, is relatively little money. Each state is different. You can sue for no more than $ 3000 in Arkansas, for someone in Ohio is $ 5000, and Texas, $ 10,000. Tennessee border is the highest at $ 25,000 but you probably also have your case heard quickly – in weeks or months, not years.


If you need an attorney, first consult with friends and family for recommendations.



If you think you owe money to the other party (called the plaintiff), try to offer what you feel is reasonable. If you cannot pay all at once, try to arrange a payment plan with the complainant. Let the other party be aware that it is better to settle and avoid going to court to waste time and costs. If an agreement is reached, thenThe applicant shall immediately inform the office of the court in writing that the matter has been resolved, or complete and submit a notice of withdrawal. This form is also available at any office of the court.